A lot of dog owners treat their canine companions as honorary members of their family. As such, they treat them to the finer things in life. While a dog food delivery service may seem frivolous, it’s a wise investment for many reasons. Not only do you get the convenience of having the meals delivered directly to your door, but it’s one of the best ways to ensure your dog is getting optimal nutrition.
Unfortunately, obesity isn’t just a human epidemic. It’s also making its way to dogs with the majority of dogs being overweight in the United States alone. As many as 55.8 percent of dogs are classified as obese. It’s no wonder why these services have become so incredibly popular. If you are looking to improve your dog’s overall health and wellness, you might be thinking about investing in a food delivery subscription.
However, there are plenty of different options available nowadays, with Just Food for Dogs and The Farmer’s Dog being two of the best. By the end of this article, you should be able to figure out which of these delivery services is going to work best for you and your pup.
Features Compare: What Just Food for Dogs and The Farmer’s Dog Offer
1. The Farmer’s Dog Key Features and Benefits
- Real Food
One of the things that stands out about The Farmer’s Dog is that they only deliver real food. Not food that has been sorted through and processed; but real food. They only sell “human-grade food in human-friendly packaging” . This is an important feature of this food delivery service because you don’t have the food going through the same processing as most other ‘dog foods.’
- Easy Packaging
One of the reasons a lot of dog owners love serving their dog’s food out of a bag comes with the convenience of it. After all, who wants to sit there and cook meals for not only themselves but for their dogs, as well? It can get tiresome and it’s simply not practical for a lot of people. This is why the majority of dog owners end up going with the dry dog food route. However, The Farmer’s Dog brings convenience and healthy nutrients. With less processing and extremely easy serving, it’s easier than ever before to feed your dog real food. The food comes in easy pour bags that are properly portioned for a single meal. This makes it incredibly accessible for anyone.
- Never Frozen or Stored
One of the other standout features of The Farmer’s Dog is the fact that they never freeze nor store the food for long periods. It is sent out within mere days of getting cooked. This is why they are capable of getting the food out without preservatives or other unhealthy ingredients added.
- Formulated By Nutritionists
This is another big one. As a dog owner, you’re certainly looking out for the best interest of your dog. In that case, you want to be certain that the diet you are feeding them is adequate for their age and weight. All of the recipes produced by The Farmer’s Dog are formulated by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist. Likewise, each recipe is 100 percent complete and balanced and meets the AAFCO standards. Therefore, you can count on delivering your dog an extremely well-balanced meal every time you feed them.
- Personalized Plans
With The Farmer’s Dog, you are going to be able to fully customize the plan to tailor to your dog’s needs. Dogs, much like humans, have different needs. Whether they are dealing with a specific medical condition, age, or breed – you need to tailor their diet accordingly. Because of this, you want to be able to customize their diet based on any individual needs they have. The Farmer’s Diet recognizes this and allows for all of their plans to be customized accordingly. You simply create a profile of your dog and you can customize it to your liking.
2. Just For Dogs Key Features and Benefits
- Fresh Whole-Food Recipes
with Just For Food Dogs, you get to choose from new fresh whole food recipes daily. The recipes are simple and with no preservatives. They only contain real human-grade food.
- Feeding Calculator
With Just Food For Dogs, you have the option to use their Feeding Calculator. This will give you recommended options to get started with feeding your dog fresh whole food. After all, there is a transition period you’ll need to go through, and many dog owners making the transition won’t know where to begin.
- Full Transparency
With Just Food For Dogs, you get complete transparency unlike some of the other services out there. There is a lot to like about a company that is willing and able to put the full nutrient content of their food. You can find exactly what’s in each meal and you can even get detailed information on the analysis of the meal. All of the daily diets have passed AAFCO protocol which means they exceed AAFCO standards . Therefore, you can count on them delivering your dog everything they need to keep them healthy.
- Vet Supported Recipes
One thing that Just Food For Dogs does that you won’t find with some of the other dog food delivery services offers vet-prescribed food for dogs. With their vet support section, you can choose from a selection of different foods that require a veterinary prescription for your dog. These meals are specially formulated for a specific reason whether it be for joint and skin support or renal support.
Food Compare: What’s on the Menu?
1. The Farmer’s Dog Food and Menu Options
Example Menu Options
Their Turkey meal comes with 38 percent protein, 26 percent fat, and 2 percent fiber. It has a total of 1,170 kcal per kg. The meal includes a variety of different vitamins and minerals with carrots, broccoli, and chickpeas being in it.
Their beef meal comes with 41 percent protein, 31 percent fat, and 3 percent fiber. It features 1,530 kcal per kg. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals with it including lentils, carrots, and sweet potatoes along with the USDA beef.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Just Food for Dogs vs Ollie
Their chicken meal consists of 49 percent protein, 37 percent fat, and 1 percent fiber. It features 1,300 kcal per kg. It’s got a lot of different ingredients including USDA chicken, USDA chicken liver, Brussel sprouts, and bok choy.
2. Just Food for Dogs Food and Menu Options
Example Menu Options
- Chicken and White Rice
Their chicken and white rice meal come with chicken thighs, liver, and gizzard. It’s gluten-free and it contains no preservatives with 43 calories per ounce. The meal includes other healthy ingredients in it including spinach, carrots, and apples. It features a total of 1,517 kcal per kg.
- Lamb and Brown Rice
Their lamb and brown rice have no growth hormones, no preservatives, and it contains 42 calories per ounce. It’s a well-balanced meal that has enough protein and that is high enough in calories with 1,482 kcal per kg. Thus, it makes for a good meal choice for an older dog that doesn’t eat as frequently. It includes a lot of other healthy nutrients along with the lamb and rice that include cauliflower, spinach, lamb liver, blueberries, and even fish oil.
- Fish and Sweet Potato
This meal contains 26 calories per ounce and it’s grain-free. This is a good meal that is tailored for both puppies and adult dogs. It features high amounts of protein and low calories with only 917 kcal per kg. The meal includes wild-caught cod, sweet potatoes, green beans, russet potatoes, broccoli, and safflower oil.
Price Compare: Which Delivery Option is Cheaper?
This is going to vary depending on whether or not you have a large or small dog. Also, it will differ based on whether or not your dog requires a specialized diet and meal plan.
The Farmer’s Dog
- $8.75 (with trial discount) per day for a 75-pound active dog.
Just Food For Dogs
- $10.42 ($6.78 autoship price) per day for a 75-pound active dog.
You Should Pick The Farmer’s Dog if…
- You want the meal delivery service that is going to provide you with the most convenient packaging possible. Not only is the packaging convenient, but the packaging is Eco-friendly. Meaning, you won’t have to worry about harming the environment because of the convenience.
- You want an easy and custom meal plan for your dog. The Farmer’s Dog makes it extremely easy to customize the meal plan to ensure you are getting the best and most optimized diet for your dog.
- You don’t want to buy food that has been stored on shelves or frozen. They make a promise that they never freeze their meals. Therefore, your dog is getting the freshest possible food.
- You want the clearest directions possible. You’ll know exactly what to feed your dog and when to feed it.
- You don’t mind refrigerating all of the meals you get for your pup. As mentioned, they don’t use ingredients to make the meals shelf-stable.
You Should Pick Just Food for Dogs if…
- You want to get dog food from a food delivery service with the most focus on health. They have a team full of professional vets, dermatologists, and nutritionists that you aren’t getting with some of the other companies.
- You want a company that is going to be able to prescribe vet-formulated foods. Before placing your order, you can get a nutrition consultation. This will ensure that your dog can get the tailored meal plan they need to be as healthy as possible.
- Your dog has specific issues that can be addressed through diet. If your dog has special needs, Just Food For Dogs is a great company that can help.
- You are going to sign up for auto-ship. You get a significant discount by setting the food deliveries to auto-ship. You’ll be spending a lot more if you don’t.
- You don’t mind frozen foods. The packages will arrive frozen in a thermal bag with ice. Some dog owners might prefer having frozen foods so they can store them in their freezer.