Dogs are not only man’s best friend but also an integral part of our families. As pet parents, it’s our responsibility to provide our furry friends with the best care possible.
One crucial aspect of this care is their diet, and a growing trend among dog owners is to feed their pets fresh dog food.
This article will give a thorough and detailed report on the benefits of fresh dog food, discussing what it is, what makes it human-grade, the top 10 benefits, whether you should consider it for your dog, and where to buy it, specifically recommending Ollie.
What is “Fresh” Dog Food?
Fresh dog food refers to meals made with real, whole food ingredients that are minimally processed and free from artificial preservatives, additives, and by-products.
This type of dog food typically contains high-quality protein sources like real meat, fish, or poultry, along with fruits, vegetables, and healthy grains.
Fresh dog food is often prepared in small batches to maintain freshness and quality, and can be served as a complete meal or mixed with kibble to enhance its nutritional value.
It can be found in refrigerated or frozen forms, or freshly prepared from a home-cooked recipe.
What Makes it Human Grade?
Human-grade dog food is made with ingredients that are fit for human consumption, meaning they meet the same quality and safety standards as the food we eat.
This is a significant step up from the ingredients often found in traditional pet foods, which can include meat by-products and low-quality fillers.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Best Fresh Dog Food Delivery
For a dog food to be considered human grade, it must adhere to strict guidelines set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The facility where the food is produced must also be inspected and approved by these regulatory bodies.
What Are the Top 10 Benefits of Fresh Dog Food?
- Improved Nutrition: Fresh dog food is made with high-quality, whole food ingredients that provide a balanced and complete diet for your pet. These ingredients are rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that your dog needs to thrive, such as protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. Feeding your dog a fresh food diet can help ensure they receive the appropriate levels of these crucial nutrients, promoting overall health and well-being.
- Enhanced Digestibility: Fresh dog food is often easier for your pet to digest compared to heavily processed commercial diets. This is because fresh food retains more of its natural enzymes, which help break down nutrients and make them more readily available for absorption in your dog’s digestive system. Improved digestibility can lead to fewer digestive issues, such as upset stomach, gas, and diarrhea.
- Healthier Skin and Coat: The high-quality fats and oils found in fresh dog food, such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, play a significant role in promoting a shiny, healthy coat and maintaining skin health. These essential fatty acids help to nourish your dog’s skin from the inside out, alleviating issues like dryness, itchiness, and dandruff. A healthy coat and skin can also be a sign of good overall health.
- Increased Energy Levels: A diet rich in fresh, whole foods can help improve your dog’s energy levels and overall vitality. Fresh dog food provides a more natural and easily accessible source of energy, allowing your dog to better utilize the calories they consume. This can result in increased stamina, endurance, and enthusiasm for play and exercise.
- Better Weight Management: Fresh dog food is typically lower in carbohydrates and fillers than traditional pet food, which can help your dog maintain a healthy weight or lose weight if necessary. High-quality proteins and healthy fats found in fresh dog food can also help your dog feel fuller for longer, reducing the likelihood of overeating and excessive weight gain.
- Fewer Allergens: One of the benefits of fresh dog food is that it can be customized to exclude potential allergens, making it an excellent option for dogs with food sensitivities or allergies. Common allergens in traditional dog foods include certain proteins, grains, and artificial additives. By feeding your dog a fresh food diet, you can more easily control and eliminate these potential allergens, reducing the likelihood of adverse reactions.
- Better Oral Health: Chewing on fresh, whole foods can help to clean your dog’s teeth and reduce the risk of dental issues like plaque, tartar, and bad breath. The natural texture of fresh food can act as a mild abrasive, scrubbing away at the surface of your dog’s teeth as they chew. This can help to reduce the buildup of harmful bacteria and maintain better oral hygiene.
- Enhanced Immune System: Fresh dog food contains a variety of nutrients that support your dog’s immune system, making it more resistant to illness and disease. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients found in fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meats can help to bolster your dog’s natural defenses and improve their overall health.
- Improved Gut Health: Fresh dog food is a natural source of probiotics and fiber, which promote a healthy gut and improved digestion. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help to maintain a balanced gut microbiome, while fiber adds bulk to your dog’s stool and aids in regular bowel movements. A healthy gut is essential for overall health and can improve your dog’s ability to absorb nutrients and fend off harmful pathogens.
- Increased Longevity: Providing your dog with a high-quality, fresh diet can contribute to a longer, healthier life. By supplying your dog with the necessary nutrients, promoting a strong immune system, and
Should You Consider Fresh Food for Your Dog?
If you are concerned about the quality of the food you are feeding your dog and want to
provide them with the best possible nutrition, then fresh dog food may be an excellent choice. Before making the switch, it is essential to consider factors such as your dog’s age, breed, size, and health status, as well as any allergies or dietary restrictions they may have.
Consulting with a veterinarian or a canine nutritionist can help you make an informed decision about whether fresh dog food is the right option for your pet.
Where to Buy Fresh Dog Food: Why We Recommend Ollie
There are numerous options available when it comes to purchasing fresh dog food. Some pet owners prefer to make their dog’s food at home using fresh ingredients and carefully curated recipes. However, this can be time-consuming and requires a deep understanding of canine nutrition to ensure a balanced diet.
A more convenient option is to purchase fresh dog food from a reputable company. One such company that we highly recommend is Ollie.
RELATED READING: Cooked vs Raw Fresh Dog Food
Ollie offers fresh, human-grade dog food that is customized to meet the specific nutritional needs of your pet.
By completing a brief online survey about your dog’s age, breed, size, activity level, and health concerns, Ollie will create a personalized meal plan tailored to your dog’s unique requirements.
Ollie’s dog food recipes are developed by veterinarians and canine nutritionists, ensuring that your pet receives the best possible nutrition. Their meals are made with high-quality, human-grade ingredients and are free from artificial preservatives, additives, and by-products.
Ollie’s fresh dog food is delivered directly to your door, making it a convenient and hassle-free option for busy pet parents.
Feeding your dog fresh dog food can provide numerous benefits, from improved nutrition and digestibility to healthier skin and coat, increased energy levels, better weight management, and more.
Before switching your dog to a fresh food diet, consult with a veterinarian or canine nutritionist to ensure it’s the right choice for your pet.
If you decide to opt for fresh dog food, consider a reputable company like Ollie to provide your pet with customized, high-quality meals made with human-grade ingredients.
By prioritizing your dog’s nutrition and overall well-being, you can help them live a longer, happier, and healthier life.